Calendar of Events
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden is now accepting applications for the following positions below: (The Garden also has volunteer opportunities).
1. Irrigation Technician (pdf)
Direct Supervisor: Director of Horticulture
Job Category: (E or NE) NE
Location: Henrico, VA
Travel Required: N
Contact: Karen Clowers, email@example.com
Position Type: (FT / PT) FT, 37.5 hours/week
Date posted: July 15, 2014
Posting Expires: until filled
As a member of the Horticulture Department, the Irrigation Technician coordinates irrigation installation, maintenance, and repair. The irrigation Technician works on a collegial basis with Horticulturists and Gardeners under the direction of the Director of Horticulture and Manager of Horticulture. Also assists Facilities Maintenance and Operations staff as directed.
The department strives to build the Lewis Ginter Botanical brand through all communication and concentrates efforts on publicity or "free" exposure for the Garden. By supporting all areas of the Garden, public relations and marketing works to entice people to visit, and to engage them in a relationship with the Garden.
General job duties of Public Relations Interns:
- Work with director of public relations and public relations coordinator to help meet needs of reporters and photographers.
- Help update calendar events on the Garden's website
- Post Garden info to websites such as tourism sites and media calendars
- Create signage
- Research and write basic news releases
- Take and upload digital photos of the Garden
- Assist with events as needed
- Provide general office and project support for the PR & Marketing Dept.
- Assist in supporting the Garden's social media efforts as needed, including film and edit movies using FlipCamera
- Write blog posts for the Garden's blog: http://www.lewisginter.org/blog/
- Strong writing & communication skills
- Ability to work on computers and use a digital camera, flip camera & smart phone
- Some simple graphic skills and the ability to use or to learn PhotoShop, PageMaker, Contribute and other computer programs
- Should be prepared to work in a business environment
- Ability to work on deadline
- Ability to learn new computer programs
- Should be enthusiastic and able to work alone or as part of a team
- Experience using Flickr, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, Google+, blogging, forums and other social media platforms is helpful
- Candidates with skills in customizing code, or experience with creating custom applications are most desired
Internship training includes:
- Press release formats and AP style
- How to write to encourage news coverage and create public interest
- The opportunity to learn more about social media and how non-profits can utilize it to connect with the community.
This internship is offered year-round. Hours are flexible, but will require 150 hours per semester, 10 or more hours per week. This is an unpaid internship.
Applicants should e-mail a letter detailing your interest in the internship and how this experience will help you reach your educational and career goals, a resume, two recommendations (via LinkedIn is strongly preferred) from faculty or work supervisors, plus two writing samples to:
Jonah Holland, PR & Marketing Coordinator
Deadlines for applications (somewhat flexible)
Fall Semester/August 25
Spring Semester/November 30