Employment & Botanical Garden Jobs
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden is now accepting applications for these botanical garden jobs. Work for one of the Top 10 public gardens in North America. One of the most-visited attractions in the Richmond, Va. area, Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden offers year-round beauty on a historic property with more than 50 acres of spectacular gardens, dining and shopping.
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Full Time Openings
- Cleans and maintains facilities including, but not limited to, cleaning and sanitizing restrooms and public areas, vacuuming, dusting, cleaning of windows, emptying trash cans, floor cleaning and maintenance, deep cleaning as requested.
- Cleans facilities, rental spaces, classrooms and equipment between functions.
- Keeps all storage areas clean, neat and orderly.
- Responds to requests of all departments/staff members for housekeeping and operations support as directed by team leader and supervisor.
- Sets and maintains high standards for the appearance of the interior and exterior of all buildings and public areas on a daily basis.
- Performs duties efficiently and effectively to include proper and safe use of cleaning supplies.
- Apprises supervisor of maintenance issues, repairs and supplies needed in a prompt manner.
- Uses departmental communication tools effectively and correctly including radios, clock in computers and task list schedules.
- Provides information and directions to visitors and guests of the Garden if able or appropriately directs them to the Visitors Center for assistance.
- Abides by Garden’s dress code.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable garden policies, the employee handbook and federal and state laws and regulations.
Part Time/Seasonal Openings & Internships:
Visitors Center Associate (Part-Time)
- Provides excellent customer service to guests, visitors, members, volunteers, and event and program attendees coming through the Visitors Center
- Handles payment in exchange for admission fees and membership dues, event tickets and classes
- Is proactive in assessing visitor’s needs quickly; i.e.: offering assistance or directions, locating wheelchairs or strollers, offering help if visitor appears in need of help
- Answers the Garden’s general delivery phone line and responds, expedites calls to appropriate departments or staff members, as well as returns calls appropriately and in a timely fashion
Candidates must be willing and able to work weekends and evenings (for special events) as needed.
Public Relations & Marketing Intern (Social Media)
The PR department strives to build the Lewis Ginter Botanical brand through all communication and concentrates efforts on publicity or “free” exposure for the Garden. By supporting all areas of the Garden, public relations and marketing works to entice people to visit, and to engage them in a relationship with the Garden.
General job duties of Public Relations Interns:
- Work with director of public relations and public relations coordinator to help meet needs of reporters and photographers.
- Help update calendar events on the Garden’s website
- Post Garden info to websites such as tourism sites and media calendars
- Research and write basic news releases
- Take and upload digital photos of the Garden
- Assist with events as needed
- Provide general office and project support for the PR & Marketing Dept.
- Assist in supporting the Garden’s social media efforts as needed, including filming and edit movies.
- Write blog posts for the Garden’s blog.
- Strong writing & communication skills
- Ability to work on computers and use a digital camera
- Some simple graphic design skills and the ability to use or to learn PhotoShop & WordPress
- Should be prepared to work in a business environment
- Ability to work on deadline
- Should be able to work alone and as part of a team
- Experience using Flickr, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, Google+, blogging is desired
Internship training includes:
- Press release formats and AP style
- How to write to encourage news coverage and create public interest
- The opportunity to learn more about social media and using it to connect with the community & to pitch stories
This internship is offered year-round. Hours are flexible, but require 150 hours per semester, 10-15 hours per week. This is an unpaid internship.
To apply please send the following to Jonah Holland, PR & Marketing Coordinator at JonahH@lewisginter.org.
- 2 writing samples
- Cover letter detailing your interest in the specific internship and how this experience will help you reach your educational and career goals, and your scheduling availability (start/end dates, day/times available).
Deadlines for applications (somewhat flexible):
Fall Semester/August 25
Spring Semester/November 30
Service Learning Intern
This internship position supports the Youth Summer Volunteer Program, which takes place in the Community Kitchen Garden (harvest for Central Virginia Food Bank) and other areas. The intern will aid Garden staff with supervising and managing volunteer groups as well as support our mission of connecting plants and people through hands-on learning activities in the Garden.
- Works with Children’s Garden staff and volunteers to support for the implementation of curriculum for the Youth Volunteer Summer Program and assists in managing youth volunteers in a group setting.
- Ability to monitor and supervise volunteer groups independently if need-be.
- Supports and encourages participants to complete tasks properly and safely through modeling.
- Embraces the Garden’s educational mission and commitment to excellence in guest services by ensuring that participants and guests’ fundamental needs for safety, security, and comfort are met at all times.