Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden Factsheet
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden’s mission is education and our passion is connecting people and plants to improve communities. Learn more about our Garden and our work in the community with these quick facts about our gardens.
About the Garden
- Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden is one of the most visited paid attractions in the Richmond Region, we welcome nearly 350,000 visitors each year.
- The Garden is located on a 80-acre site with more than 50 acres of beautifully cultivated landscape, with 15 themed gardens.
- The Garden contains more than 7,500 unique genera, species and cultivars from around the world.
- Popular events include Dominion GardenFest of Lights, Butterflies LIVE, CarMax Free Fourth of July, A Million Blooms, October Oddities, and Rose Fest.
- More than 600 people currently volunteer at the Garden, providing more than 39,000 hours of support each year.
- More than 12,000 households support the Garden with memberships.
- Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden has many partnerships, including relationships with other nonprofits, educational institutions and community organizations.
- Lewis Ginter staff and volunteers have grown, harvested, and donated over 52,198 lbs. of vegetables to FeedMore’s Community Kitchen since 2009. The Community Kitchen Garden at Lewis Ginter has provided over 45,500 meals for Central Virginia’s hungry children and homebound seniors.
- About 50,000 children visit the Garden and the Children’s Garden each year; about 12,000 as part of structured education programs; the remaining 38,000 through admission.
- More than 30 percent of children in structured programs come from low to moderate income households and participate for free.
- Children’s programs are age-specific and meet Virginia Standards of Learning requirements.
- Adult Education programs range from “how-to” sessions to lectures by renowned garden experts.
- The Garden maintains a botanical library and herbarium for continued horticultural research.
All of this and so much more is made possible by the generosity and support of our business leaders, Garden members and donors in our community. Thank you.