Butterflies LIVE! 2013
May 24 - October 13, 2013
BEST TIMES TO VISIT
To see butterflies in flight: Butterflies are most active on sunny days from mid-morning to mid-afternoon.
To see butterflies resting: Butterflies tend to roost on cloudy days and in the late afternoon.
LOCATION OF THE BUTTERFLIES LIVE! EXHIBIT
The butterflies are inside the North Wing of the Conservatory. This building is a short walk from the Visitors Center. Wheelchairs and strollers are available on a first-come; first-served basis in the Visitors Center. Please note strollers are not allowed in the Butterflies LIVE! exhibit, however, there is a stroller parking area in front of the building. (Wheelchairs are allowed inside the exhibit.) Large bags are also not allowed in the Butterflies LIVE! exhibit. Learn more.
OVERVIEW OF FOOD OPTIONS
- Garden Cafe: Servery with sandwiches, soups, salads, drinks and more (butterfly cookies, right); kid-friendly items available; open daily 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. Please be aware Cafe tables are for dining only; if you are planning a celebration or meeting, we ask that you rent a space through our facility events department.
- Tea House: Seated dining overlooking the Gardens; admission required; open Wednesday through Sunday ;11:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
- Vending Machines in the Children's Garden offer a variety of drinks and snacks.
WHAT TO WEAR
The Garden is a walk-through experience, so dress for the weather and wear comfortable shoes. You may also want to bring a hat, sunglasses, umbrella and sunscreen. If your children are playing in WaterPlay in the Children's Garden, bring their swimsuits, swim shoes, towels and swim diapers (if child is not potty-trained).
SHOPPING: The Garden Shop features gardening and naturerelated items, including butterfly merchandise,including jewelry, home decor, books and distinctive mementoes.
(Butterfly themed pillow and decor, left)
BUTTERFLY RELATED THINGS TO SEE AND DO
- LIBRARY: Provides helpful resources, including ideas for your own butterfly garden.
See Libray hours and more.
- VISITING WITH CHILDREN? Be sure to visit the Children's Garden. Butterfly-related items include the Butterfly Meadow: learn about the butterfly's lifecycle, adaptations and preferences for host plants. The Front Porch Corner at the Carriage House in the Children's Garden also offers butterfly-related information, activities and literature, plus a place to record your sightings. More helpful tips about visiting with children.
Butterfly Porch at the Carriage House in the Children's Garden