Plan Your Visit
Calendar of Events
The Garden by Season
- See spectacular tulip and daffodil displays during A Million Blooms and plan your next tulip border or bed.
- Attend the spring plant sale presented by Garden volunteers (check the calendar for dates).
- Get ideas for small bulbs to add to your garden.
- See spectacular roses, daffodils, daylilies and african violets at a plant-sponsored flower show (check the calendar for specific show dates).
- See early-blooming native azaleas and rhododendrons in the Flagler Perennial Garden, and Woodland and Wildside Walks.
- Learn how to prepare soil as Garden horticulturists and gardeners prepare beds and plant annuals and perennials.
- Enjoy live music in the garden during a Groovin' in the Garden concert.
- Get ideas for stunning annual combinations for containers and beds.
- Check out the Farm Garden in the Children’s Garden and see what vegetables you could add to your garden next season.
- See spectacular daylillies at the Richmond Area Daylily Show and Sale (check the calendar for show date).
- Find some new summer annuals to add to your border garden.
- Explore more than 25 cultivars of hydrangeas on the Hydrangea Walk and Talk led by a knowledgeable Garden Guide.
- Walk among hundreds of tropical butterflies at Butterflies Live!, May 24 - Oct. 13, 2013
- Find a new plant to add to your butterfly garden by watching the many butterflies native to Virginia as you stroll the Garden
- Bring the kids' swimsuits and cool off in WaterPlay in the Children's Garden.
- Get ideas for late season perennials to add to your garden.
- Attend the fall plant sale presented by Garden volunteers (see the calendar for dates).
- See spectacular mums in the Conservatory in September and October.
- As horticultural staff prepare for winter, get tips on proper clean up of perennial borders.
- Watch horticulturists and gardeners as they plant spring-flowering bulbs to create naturalized drifts of daffodils and tulips in your yard.
- Enjoy late season fall color as Japanese maples color up in Asian Valley.
- Find a great holiday gift in the Garden Shop during their annual Champagne 'n Shopping event in November (check the calendar for more information).
- Take a holiday cooking, gardening or floral arranging class (view Adult Education Classes & Course Catalog).
- Visit GardenFest of Lights, the Garden's spectacular annual holiday light show, and see a half-million lights and more
- Observe horticultural staff as they prune deciduous shrubs and trees.
- Admire the "bare bones" of the garden and seek out plants especially valued for bark, berries or stem color for winter interest
- Preview spring in full glory in the Cottage Garden located in the west wing of the Conservatory.
- Watch birdfeeders as they become especially active during the winter season.
- Attend the annual CVNLA Winter symposium in February and get inspired for spring.