Plan Your Visit
Visit with Children
Check our calendar to see if there are any drop-in classes for kids, special events, storytimes or other special children's programs on the day you visit. You can also see what's "Happening Now" in the Children's Garden.
Start with the highly interactive Children's Garden to learn and play.
The playful, informal setting of the Children's Garden offers children up-close and personal interactions with the natural world--not as passive bystanders, but as active participants who touch, smell, taste, learn new vocabulary and develop observational and listening skills. Visit the Carriage House for garden-themed storybooks and craft projects. Pickup a KidQuest brochure in the Robins Visitors Center for a garden-wide treasure hunt.
Expect to spend about one to two hours in the Children's Garden. Grab a snack or beverage from the Garden Café before you walk down the hill. Vending machines are available in the Children's Garden near the restrooms. A limited number of strollers are available in the Robins Visitors Center and in the Children's Garden. Strollers are generously provided by Baby Jogger.
Restrooms with changing tables, water fountains and picnic tables are available in the Children's Garden (please see Garden Etiquette to learn more about the Garden’s picnic policy and review Children's Garden guidelines).
Try some of these activities while exploring the 1.5 acre Children's Garden.
- Climb high in a 100-year old mulberry tree
- Explore the world in our International Village
- Check out an Investigation Station or explore the Adventure Pathway
- If it's a warm day (70 degrees or higher), wear your swimsuit and cool off in WaterPlay (please bring swim diapers, towels and water shoes). See WaterPlay hours.
- Stop at the Farm Garden during the summer to see what's growing and harvest fresh produce
- Check out the Weird and Contrasting Plants
- See the world from above in the CWD Kids Tree House
- Earn a prize with a KidQuest nature hunt (pickup a KidQuest brochure at admissions)
- Read about nature, plants and animals during the Green Hour (check the calendar for dates)
- Celebrate your birthday at a Garden Party (reservations required; call the registrar at (804) 262-9887, ext. 322)
Take a Break. Enjoy a leisurely lunch in the Garden Café and then explore more of Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden. Look for turtles and other wildlife as you explore gardens and paths!
Hint: As you cross the bridge on the way to the Children's Garden, look for turtles sunning themselves on a drain near the lake's edge - you might even catch a glimpse of our beautiful blue heron who roams the banks of the lake and the West Island Garden. Don't forget to feed the fish in the lake behind the Tea House - they're hungry!