Gardening and Garden Design Certificate Program
Gain a thorough foundation in garden planning and design, including plant selection, installation, and care while completing this certificate program for the dedicated home gardener. Completion of this course provides new gardeners the opportunity to build gardening knowledge and skills. For seasoned gardeners, the program provides the opportunity to expand knowledge, challenge old habits, and expand new perspectives.
Classes are generally offered once or twice a year in three seasons: Winter/Spring (December-April), Spring/Summer (April-August), and Summer/Fall (August-December). All courses are not offered each season. View the current season’s available courses and link to online registration.
- Basic Botany for Gardeners – 4 sessions, 3 hours each session
- Home Landscape Design for Beginners– 5 sessions, hours vary, total: 20 hours
- Annuals and Perennials for Richmond Gardens – 4 sessions, 2 hours each session
- Fall Pruning for Shrubs – 1 session, 3 hours
- Spring Pruning for Shrubs – 1 session, 3 hours
- Vines and Groundcovers for the Home Landscape – 1 session, 3 hours
- Digging In, Tips, Tools, and Time-Savers – 3 sessions, 3 hours each session
- The Beginner’s Perennial Garden – 1 session, 4 hours
- Building Good Garden Soil – 1 session, 3 hours
- Electives – 13 hours
You must earn a minimum of 13 hours of elective class credit to complete the certificate. Elective courses are available on a variety of topics which vary from season to season. These courses will be listed in the catalog as GES, HL, elective.
Available Courses for the Current Season
View the current available schedule of classes for Gardening and Garden Design and link to online registration for all available classes.
Current required hours: Minimum 63
Cost: Enrollment is free. Classes cost between $10-$12 per hour, plus materials, if provided.
For detailed program information and requirements, view the Gardening and Garden Design program brochure, or email [email protected].
Enrollment in the certificate program is not required to take Gardening and Garden Design courses.
To enroll: Complete and submit the GES Gardening and Garden Design enrollment form.