Gardening and Garden Design Certificate Program
Gain a thorough foundation in garden planning and design, including plant selection, installation, and care while completing this certificate program for the dedicated home gardener. Completion of this course provides new gardeners the opportunity to build gardening knowledge and skills. For seasoned gardeners, the program provides the opportunity to expand knowledge, challenge old habits, and expand new perspectives.
Due to circumstances related to the ongoing COVID19 coronavirus pandemic, new certificate enrollments are suspended and applications are not accepted at this time. Please check back for updates as conditions change.
Classes are generally offered once or twice a year in three seasons: Winter/Spring (December-April), Spring/Summer (April-August), and Summer/Fall (August-December). All courses are not offered each season. View the current season’s available courses and link to online registration.
- Beginning Botany for Gardeners – 4 sessions, 2.5 hours each session
- Basic Residential Landscape Design– 6 sessions, 3 hours each session
- Annuals and Perennials for Virginia Gardens – 1 session, 3 hours
- Pruning for Shrubs – 1 session, 3 hours
- Vines and Groundcovers for the Home Landscape – 1 session, 3 hours
- Digging In, Tips, Tools, and Time-Savers – 3 sessions, 3 hours each session
- The Beginner’s Perennial Garden – 1 session, 4 hours
- Building Good Garden Soil – 1 session, 3 hours
- Electives – 22 hours
You must earn a minimum of 22 hours of elective class credit to complete the certificate. Elective courses are available on a variety of topics which vary from season to season. These courses will be listed in the catalog as GES, HL, elective.
Current required hours: 75 Minimum
Cost: Enrollment is free. Classes cost between $10-$12 per hour, plus materials, if provided.
For detailed program information and requirements, view the Gardening and Garden Design program brochure, or email [email protected].
Enrollment in the certificate program is not required to take Gardening and Garden Design courses.
To enroll: Complete and submit the GES Gardening and Garden Design enrollment form.
Available Courses for the Current Season
View the current available schedule of classes for Gardening and Garden Design and link to online registration for all available classes.