Employment & Botanical Garden Jobs
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden is now accepting applications for these botanical garden jobs. Work for one of the Top 10 public gardens in North America!
One of the most-visited attractions in the Richmond, Va. area, Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden offers year-round beauty on a historic property with more than 50 acres of spectacular gardens, dining and shopping.
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Full Time Openings
There are not currently any Full Time employment opportunities available. Please check back for future opportunities.
Full Time Seasonal
Part Time/Seasonal Openings & Internships
- Responsible for security of the property to include grounds and facilities, safe and expeditious routing of guests and able to take first action steps in case of an emergency.
- Supports essential functions of garden operation to include ensuring the quality of the guest experience (visitors, guests and students); ensuring the securing and alarming of property; ensuring the physical integrity of property after hours, supporting management of vehicular and pedestrian traffic, particularly during public and private events.
- In conjunction with supervisor, directs the arrivals/departures of clients and guests at the service road access point, parking lots and at Garden entrance as required.
- Ensure that energy conservation measures are taken during nightly process of securing, locking and alarming LGBG structures.
- Ensure the safety and security of guests, volunteers, vendors and staff through presence, integrity of building, keys, alarms and communication.
- At the direction of supervisor, coordinate with other departments to ensure adequate security for scheduled LGBG events. Outsourced food contractor is considered to be a department of LGBG, with all the same rights and responsibilities.
- Works in coordination with supervisor, coworkers, Facility Events Coordinators and Facility Event Staff (FESA’s) at evening events where conditions require additional support, including last minute changes to venue set ups, tasks caused by inclement weather conditions or emergencies, and additional guest entry assistance.
- Ensure escort or presence is provided after 5:00 pm to groups or individuals.
- Responds to alarms, emergencies and security related incidents while on duty; decides what actions to take based on the situation, facts known, and position limitations.
- Investigates and reports on accidents, incidents, suspicious activities, safety and fire hazards and other security related situations to supervisor for correction or follow-up actions.
Public Relations & Marketing Intern (Social Media)
The PR department strives to build the Lewis Ginter Botanical brand through all communication and concentrates efforts on publicity or “free” exposure for the Garden. By supporting all areas of the Garden, public relations and marketing works to entice people to visit, and to engage them in a relationship with the Garden.
General job duties of Public Relations Interns:
- Work with director of public relations and public relations coordinator to help meet needs of reporters and photographers.
- Help update calendar events on the Garden’s website
- Post Garden info to websites such as tourism sites and media calendars
- Research and write basic news releases
- Take and upload digital photos of the Garden
- Assist with events as needed
- Provide general office and project support for the PR & Marketing Dept.
- Assist in supporting the Garden’s social media efforts as needed, including filming and edit movies.
- Write blog posts for the Garden’s blog.
- Strong writing & communication skills
- Ability to work on computers and use a digital camera
- Some simple graphic design skills and the ability to use or to learn PhotoShop & WordPress
- Should be prepared to work in a business environment
- Ability to work on deadline
- Should be able to work alone and as part of a team
- Experience using Flickr, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, Google+, blogging is desired
Internship training includes:
- Press release formats and AP style
- How to write to encourage news coverage and create public interest
- The opportunity to learn more about social media and using it to connect with the community & to pitch stories
This internship is offered year-round. Hours are flexible, but require 150 hours per semester, 10-15 hours per week. This is an unpaid internship.
To apply please send the following to Ms. Jonah Holland, PR & Marketing Coordinator at [email protected].
- 2 writing samples
- Cover letter detailing your interest in the specific internship and how this experience will help you reach your educational and career goals, and your scheduling availability (start/end dates, day/times available).
- 2 recommendations (preferably on LinkedIn)
Deadlines for applications (somewhat flexible):
Fall Semester/August 25
Spring Semester/November 30