Employment & Botanical Garden Jobs
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden is now accepting applications for these botanical garden jobs. Work for one of the Top 10 public gardens in North America!
One of the most-visited attractions in the Richmond, Va. area, Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden offers year-round beauty on a historic property with more than 50 acres of spectacular gardens, dining and shopping.
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Database Manager and Development Associate
The Database Manager (DBM) is responsible for executing a comprehensive strategy and protocol for data management in our Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge software. The Database Manager will oversee all aspects of data conversion, data entry, gift processing and acknowledgement, reporting, and reconciliation. All financial reporting, including the Annual Report, and data analytics will be the responsibility of the DBM under the direction of the Associate Director of Advancement. All queries and exports, as well as all data files for mailings will be created and executed by the DBM, for Advancement and other Garden areas. The DBM will conduct prospect research as assigned by the Director of Advancement and the Associate Director. Additionally, the Database Manager will provide various levels of reporting, processing and other support for the Thrive capital campaign.
Operations: Housekeeping Assistant
The Operations Assistant in Housekeeping is responsible for assisting in day-to-day functions of the Garden including custodial and housekeeping duties. A successful candidate must have the ability to communicate effectively with staff of all levels and interact with Garden visitors and volunteers in a cheerful and positive manner. They must be able to work independently without supervision as well as alongside other members of the Operations team.
To apply, please see the full Housekeeping Assistant job description and submit cover letter, resume, and Lewis Ginter Application for Employment to Operations Manager, Justin Brown, [email protected]
Part-Time Openings & Internships
Public Relations & Marketing Intern (Social Media)
The PR department strives to build the Lewis Ginter Botanical brand through all communication and concentrates efforts on publicity or “free” exposure for the Garden. By supporting all areas of the Garden, public relations and marketing works to entice people to visit, and to engage them in a relationship with the Garden.
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden connects people through plants to improve communities.
General job duties of Public Relations Interns:
- Work with director of public relations and public relations coordinator to help meet needs of reporters and photographers.
- Help update calendar events on the Garden’s website
- Post Garden info to websites such as tourism sites and media calendars
- Research and write basic news releases
- Take and upload digital photos of the Garden
- Assist with events as needed
- Provide general office and project support for the PR & Marketing Dept.
- Assist in supporting the Garden’s social media efforts as needed, including filming and edit movies.
- Write blog posts and tell stories for the Garden’s blog.
- Strong writing & communication skills
- Ability to work on computers and use a digital camera
- Some simple graphic design skills and the ability to use or to learn PhotoShop & WordPress
- Should be prepared to work in a business environment
- Ability to work on deadline
- Should be able to work alone and as part of a team
- Experience using Flickr, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, Google+, blogging is helpful
Internship training includes:
- Press release formats and AP style
- How to write to encourage news coverage and create public interest
- The opportunity to learn more about social media and using it to connect with the community & to pitch stories
This internship is offered year-round. Hours are flexible but require a minimum of 150 hours per semester, and 10-15 hours per week. We also welcome interns and volunteeers who are not students. This is an unpaid internship.
To apply please send the following to Ms. Jonah Holland, PR & Marketing Coordinator at [email protected].
- 2 writing samples
- Cover letter detailing your interest in the specific internship and how this experience will help you reach your educational and career goals, and your scheduling availability (start/end dates, day/times available).
- 2 recommendations (preferably on LinkedIn)
Deadlines for applications (somewhat flexible):
Fall Semester/August 25
Spring Semester/November 30