Thank you for considering a donation of library, art or archival materials to the Lora M. Robins Library. Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden accepts donations of books, art, and artifacts after evaluation and consideration of several criteria. Donations cannot be accepted at the Admissions desk or other areas of the Garden without evaluation and prior approval.
Inquiries about donations should be directed to the Garden’s librarian, Katarina Spears, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 804-262-9887, ext. 342. The Garden’s full collections policy pertaining to library, art objects, and heritage/cultural archives can be found here.
Library books and magazines
- Books and magazines must be related to horticulture, botany, botanical illustration, and gardening topics. Materials must be clean and free of mold and insects. Storage space is limited and we are unable to accept large collections.
- Books may be added to the collection or offered for sale at our book sale. The Garden reserves the right to dispose of materials not meeting its criteria.
- All book donations must be arranged in advance with the librarian.
Art Objects and Heritage/Cultural artifacts
Art and artifact donations must meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Relevance to the Garden’s history and mission
- Relationship to the lives of Lewis Ginter or Grace Arents
- Relevance to existing collections
- Relationship to botany, horticulture, or other closely allied botanical subjects
- Age and Condition
- Quality and craftsmanship of the materials
- Storage, conservation, and maintenance requirements
- Financial support adequate to address the present and future needs for essential storage, conservation, maintenance, and display
- Technology support to address current and future maintenance of items
- Availability of curatorial or collections care support of items accepted
Items meeting one or more criteria may ultimately be declined if it is determined that the cost and required expertise for storage, conservation, maintenance, and display of the item exceeds the Garden’s resources.