Preschool Field Trips
Now accepting reservations for Young Buds Programs for the 2023-24 school year. Programs are available between September 18, 2023, and May 31, 2024, subject to seasonal availability. We offer a limited number of free Young Buds Programs for 4 and 5-year-olds in preschools in Title I schools, Head Start, VPI, and Childhood Special Education Programs that are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Please note, the Garden will not have Butterflies LIVE! in 2024 or 2025. This is due to an expansion of the Conservatory which will result in a year-round butterfly house and additional displays and gardens. We look forward to bringing you these wonderful improvements. If you would like Butterflies LIVE! to be part of your field trip experience this year, plan to visit before October 10, 2023.
Young Buds Programs
Pricing and Availability:
- The cost is $10 per student; the minimum group charge is $100.
- Programs are designed for students aged 4-5 years old.
- One adult per five students is admitted free to cover teachers and designated chaperones.
- Additional adults are asked to pay Garden Admission and are welcome to enjoy the Garden independently during the guided program. Please limit the number of adults accompanying each guided program to five, including teachers. Additional adults can accompany their child before and after the guided program.
- Programs take place outdoors, rain or shine. Please have everyone dress for the weather.
To register, contact our Youth Program Logistics Coordinator, Laura Lee Folman, at [email protected] or 804.262.9887 x322 with the following:
- Your name, email address, and phone number, contact person’s information (if it is someone other than yourself)
- Your organization’s name and mailing address
- Which program topic you would like
- The number of classes you would like to bring
- The total number of students who will attend
- Your top three choices of program dates in order of preference (please include the program time(s) you prefer as well)
FALL and SPRING AVAILABILITY
- 45 minute-long programs are offered in Fall, September-November, and Spring, March-May, Monday-Friday at 9:15 a.m., 10:30 a.m., and 11:45 a.m.
- Two programs are available during each time slot for up to 20 students per program.
- Programs consist of a Storytime, a Craft and Garden Exploration.
- 45 minute-long programs are offered in Winter, December-February, Monday-Friday at 9:00 a.m., 10:00 a.m., and 11:00 a.m.
- One program is available during each time slot for up to 20 students.
- Programs consist of a Storytime, a Craft, and Garden Exploration.
Flowers to Fruit | September – November
Trees in Winter | December – February