M&T Bank Butterflies LIVE!
Butterflies LIVE! runs April 15 – October 9, 2023
Included with Garden admission ($8-$17) and open 9 a.m. – 4:15 p.m. daily.
See M&T Bank Butterflies LIVE! on our calendar
Experience the wonderful world of butterflies! Tropical and native beauties, fascinating and showy, transform the Conservatory’s North Wing into a wonderland of vibrant colors…captivating sights…and extraordinary discoveries. Every butterfly is different, as is every visit! Please note the last group of guests will be admitted to Butterflies LIVE! at 4:15 p.m..
Top 5 Things to Know Before You Visit
- Butterflies LIVE! is an exhibit inside the North Wing of the Conservatory and is geared for all ages. The environment is warm and humid. Our tropical butterflies love the heat, but for the safety of our guests and staff, if temperatures inside the display reach a heat index of 115, the exhibit will close and reopen once safe to do so. Consider visiting earlier in the day to avoid disappointment.
- Butterflies tend to be most active on clear, sunny days. On cloudy days, they tend to roost, which can be good for taking close-up photos. You may want to plan your visit accordingly.
- Large bags are discouraged in the exhibit. Since many of the butterflies are tropical species, they must remain in the exhibit. At the same time, butterflies like to hitchhike! For that reason, large objects such as backpacks, oversized totes and pocketbooks are discouraged inside the exhibit. There is a place to leave belongings inside the staffed entry, however, the Garden is not responsible for them. For the same reason, strollers are discouraged inside the exhibit. There is a place to park strollers in front of the Conservatory. Wheelchairs are permitted.
- Meet the butterflies! Each day we release new butterflies into the exhibit. You may even see newly emerged butterflies take their first flight! Look for information on our newest flying friends as you enter the exhibit. We’ll highlight which butterflies are new to the exhibit, their country of origin, their photo and other neat facts.
- Check out special displays inside the exhibit, including the Butterfly Nursery where you can view different stages of the butterfly lifecycle and also interesting moths.
The Reason Behind Butterflies LIVE! Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden is a nonprofit garden. Our mission is education and our passion is bringing people and plants together to improve communities. Butterflies LIVE! shows the interdependence of people, plants and insects and encourages all to care for nature.
Love butterflies? Learn more about which butterflies to look for and how to attract them to your own yard. Looking for activities for your kids this summer? Visit our Kids Activities page and Kids Learning page!
We’ve planted nectar and host plants for butterflies all over the Garden! Look and see how many types you can find.
Join us for fun family activities in the Children’s Garden where you can learn how to do the bee dance and participate in our Butterflies LIVE! KidQuest or Bee KidQuest. Pick up a copy in the Conservatory, or download and print your own Butterfly KidQuest (PDF) or Bee KidQuest (PDF).
Visit All Year & More!
See our Top Reasons to Become a Member including unlimited visits to the Garden.
Meet the Butterflies
We have many species of tropical butterflies in Butterflies LIVE! See some of the ones you are likely to meet when you visit!