Pianos in Bloom
Look for three pianos outdoors among our blooms as part of our National Public Gardens Week celebration. It’s peak bloom time at Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden and this year we are treating you to A Million Blooms surrounded by live music in honor of National Public Gardens Week. Look for an explosion of blooms — roses, iris, peonies, azaleas and more, complemented by performances from GreenSpring International Academy of Music students and faculty. Plus, when the pianos are free, YOU can play too.
Enjoy performances by GreenSpring International Academy of Music students and faculty weekday afternoons from 2:00 – 5:00 pm, and on Saturday from 10:00 am – 2:00 pm.
Flagler Pavilion Concerts
Friday, May 17 at 2:30pm Markus Compton (piano) and John Bullard (classical banjo)
John Bullard and Markus Compton perform Robert Schumann’s Three Romances (Op. 94) and other works from John’s Latest CD recording Classical Banjo: The Perfect Southern Art. Other selections include Concerto in D minor by Alessandro Marcello and Partita in E minor by G.P. Telemann.
Saturday, May 18 at 2:30pm Markus Compton (piano)
Classic piano selections including Bach, Mozart and Brahms, to favorite jazz standards.
- Pianos are located in front of the Conservatory, in Flagler Pavilion and Lucy Payne Minor Pavilion
- The awesome team at Famous Jerry’s Pianos Movers brought them over for us.
- The Pianos have been loaned to the garden by their owner and local piano tuner Michael Stumpf, who is also an instructor at GreenSpring International Academy of Music. They will go back home with him at the end of the week
- The Pianos are covered each night and protected from the weather.
- They will be tuned several times during the week.
- Performances from Greenspring International Academy students and other local musicians are scheduled Tues- Friday from 2-5
- Weekend performances will happen between 10-2 on Saturday with some possible last minute add ons!
- All other times the pianos are here for ALL to play. We encourage our volunteers, staff and guests to all play a tune.