Free admission all day 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Admission this day is walk-up only. Tickets are not needed. This is a daytime event only; no fireworks. Open RAIN or SHINE.
Celebrate CarMax Free Fourth of July by enjoying the gardens and M&T Bank Pollinator Power featuring Big Bugs and Butterflies LIVE! Feel free to wear red, white and blue and bring your decorated wagons and strollers. The line to Butterflies LIVE! will close at 3:30 p.m. to ensure all visitors in line are able to see the exhibit.
Food & Beverages:
• Garden Café: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
• Rose Garden: 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
o Soda, beer, wine, hot dogs, chips, kids meals etc.
• Food trucks – 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
o Westray’s Finest at Bloemendaal House
o Kona Ice at the Conservatory outside at end of the walkway of the Orchid Wing
• Free bottled water – while supplies last – in CarMax tent by Kelly Education Center
• Drink/Snack machines in Children’s Garden
Children’s Garden Activities:
• Pinwheels give away (while supplies last)
• Opportunities to engage with Educators in the Farm Garden
• Water-themed activities (sink or float experiment, painting on the sidewalk with water, etc.)
Cool off in the Library while you do crafts and puzzles. Look for tissue paper flowers and origami and even a tree explorer self-guided activity that visitors can use to discover 12 featured trees in the Garden.
July 4 will be a busy day at the Garden; below are 5 important things you need to know:
1. What to Bring: prepare for a warm day! Bring water bottles & sunscreen; wear comfortable shoes and clothing. Lawn chairs and blankets are allowed. We have water fountains and water bottle refill stations. Free bottled water (compliments of CarMax ) will be available under a tent near the Rose Garden while supplies last. Bottled water will also be available for sale in the Garden Shop.
2. What Not to Bring: Please do not bring outside food into the Garden. We have food in the Garden Cafe and there are vending machines in the Children’s Garden. Please also do not bring sporting equipment such as Frisbees, bicycles, etc. into the Garden; learn more guidelines for a great visit
3. Parking: Carpool if you can! Parking is limited and once lots are full, the Garden will close gates temporarily. Gates will re-open once space becomes available. We appreciate your patience; our security staff works hard to ensure everyone’s safety. If parking off-site, please be considerate of our neighbors and do not block driveways.
4. There is no WaterPlay or live music this year. We are currently designing and planning a brand-new WaterPlay area. We’re hoping to begin work this year in anticipation of a new WaterPlay next year. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
5. Plan Your Visit: Here’s more info for planning your Garden visit, including accessibility. We’ll have extra Garden staff and volunteers working on July 4, so look for us — we’re here to help!
Photo Release Policy
Photography of visitors, events and activities at Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden for CarMax Free 4th of July are taken for promotional and editorial use to advance the mission of the Garden. Your attendance at this event implies your consent to display and/or publish any photographs in which your image appears.
Guests who do not consent to this policy may opt out of a photo by informing the photographer.
These images become the property of Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden. They may be used in any and all Garden publications and media without limitation or reservation, and are not subject to compensation.