Dogs in the Garden
Guidelines for a Great Visit with your Dog: Select Dates Only
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden welcomes leashed dogs during select events and evenings only. If you are bringing your leashed dog to the Garden, please take a few minutes to read our rules and regulations. We designed these rules for the good of the community. Please consider donating a $2 suggested “pet admission” to Richmond SPCA as you enter the Garden.
- All dogs must be leashed.
- Dogs must be at least 4 months of age and current on vaccinations to include Rabies, Bordetella, and Parvo.
- Retractable leashes are not permitted. Flat leashes will be available to borrow from the Richmond SPCA’s table in the Robins Visitor Center.
- Dogs over 1 year old must be spayed or neutered. No dogs in heat.
- Owners are responsible for their dog’s waste. We will provide plastic bags if needed.
- All dogs must be well-behaved; the Garden reserves the right to determine whether an owner and pet may be asked to leave, based on guest safety. Any dog displaying disruptive or aggressive behavior will be asked to leave.
- Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden is not responsible for any injury or illness. Each dog owner is responsible for his or her own dog. If your dog causes damage to any person or property, you are responsible.
- An adult must maintain control of the dog’s leash at all times.
- Please ask before approaching or allowing your dog to approach an unfamiliar dog.
Please Note: We welcome dogs in the Robins Visitor Center and Conservatory, but ask that they not enter the Kelly Education Center building.
Before You Visit With Your Dog
Before attending a Fidos event with your dog, it’s important to understand what your dog tolerates and will enjoy. Fidos events can be stressful for some dogs because there may a lot of people, especially children, and other dogs in close proximity. Ask yourself:
- How does my dog handle being in a new environment?
- How does my dog react to close proximity to unfamiliar people and dogs of various sizes?
Dog Days of Summer (and Winter)
Adventure & Dog Day
A day of outdoor adventures for you and your dog! Adventure & Dog Day during Father’s Day Weekend. is Saturday, June 16, 2018. L.L. Bean Discovery Schools host a class, Outdoor Adventures with Your Dog, at 11 a.m. at 2 p.m. Please note clinics will be available on a first come, first served basis. This free clinic will give you tips and tricks, and teach you about gear that will help better prepare you to get out on the trails with your four-legged friend.
Fidos After 5
The Garden partners with the Richmond SPCA on the second and fourth Thursdays in June through mid-September for Fidos After 5 in which leashed dogs are allowed. Suggested $2 “pet admission” benefits Richmond SPCA.
Bring Fido to Flowers After 5 on these special nights (only): June 14 & 28, July 12 & 26, August 9 & 23, September 13, 2018.Learn More