Dogs in the Garden
Guidelines for a Great Visit with your Dog: Select Dates Only
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden welcomes leashed dogs during select events and evenings only. If you are bringing your leashed dog to the Garden, please take a few minutes to read our rules and regulations. We designed these rules for the good of the community. Please consider donating a $2 suggested “pet admission” to Richmond SPCA as you enter the Garden.
- All dogs must be leashed.
- Dogs must be at least 4 months of age and current on vaccinations to include Rabies, Bordetella, and Parvo.
- Retractable leashes are not permitted. Flat leashes will be available to borrow from the Richmond SPCA’s table.
- Dogs over 1 year old must be spayed or neutered. No dogs in heat.
- Owners are responsible for their dog’s waste. We will provide plastic bags if needed.
- All dogs must be well-behaved; the Garden reserves the right to determine whether an owner and pet may be asked to leave, based on guest safety. Any dog displaying disruptive or aggressive behavior will be asked to leave.
- Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden is not responsible for any injury or illness. Each dog owner is responsible for his or her own dog. If your dog causes damage to any person or property, you are responsible.
- An adult must maintain control of the dog’s leash at all times.
- Please ask before approaching or allowing your dog to approach an unfamiliar dog.
Dining & Dogs
Visitors with dogs can enjoy food and drinks (including wine and beer) in the Garden Cafe and eat at the outdoor tables there or elsewhere in the Garden.
Before You Visit With Your Dog
Before attending a Fidos event with your dog, it’s important to understand what your dog tolerates and will enjoy. Fidos events can be stressful for some dogs because there may be a lot of people, especially children, and other dogs in close proximity. Ask yourself:
- How does my dog handle being in a new environment?
- How does my dog react to close proximity to unfamiliar people and dogs of various sizes?