by Jonah Holland, PR & Marketing Coordinator, Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden
In honor of Earth Day on (which is April 22 this year) Kristin Mullen, Early Childhood Program Developer from our Children’s Garden, pulled together a few green tips — fun activities you can do with you kids, that are earth-friendly & educational. I love her ideas! The only thing better than helping the earth is teaching your children how to be good stewards while you do it! She’s got some great ideas, and I can’t wait to try them with my own kids.
- Plant a tree. Trees filter pollution from the air, help recycle water, prevent erosion, create shade, provide homes for animals and make food for humans and wildlife
- Use less. Reduce the amount of trash you create. Remind mom to bring the recyclable bags to the grocery store. Turn off the water while washing hair and brushing teeth. Check out books at the library instead of buying them.
- Volunteer. Help a green community organization, community garden, farmer’s market or botanical garden.
- Create compost. Join in the family effort to compost. Ask for the chore of taking compost materials to your bin or pile.
- Eat locally. Ask for your own garden space to grow your own vegetables. Encourage mom and dad to shop at local farmer’s markets.
- Clean up. Plan a neighborhood trash pick-up for your friends and family. Make it a competition to see who can get the most.
- Reduce exhaust emissions. Ride your bike or walk whenever and wherever you can. Help mom and dad rake leaves and shovel snow instead of using gas powered tools.
- Pack smart lunches. Help mom and dad pack lunches that use less waste. Use reusable water bottles and food containers and lunch bags, cloth napkins, and metal utensils.
What do you do to teach your children about the earth? Feel free to add your suggestions in the comments.
Image courtesy of: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.more4kids.info/uploads/Image/April/child-hugging-earth.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.more4kids.info/729/family-green-living-tips-2/&usg=__qGBzMwzR9xBsMawVYm_AQKx6N0Y=&h=300&w=300&sz=13&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=FDguw8yelH5jGM:&tbnh=146&tbnw=146&ei=R9GlTcGYDoW2tgeRsu29Ag&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dearthday%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dflock%26hs%3D5Gj%26sa%3DX%26channel%3Dcds%26biw%3D1680%26bih%3D960%26tbm%3Disch%26prmd%3Divns&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=692&oei=R9GlTcGYDoW2tgeRsu29Ag&page=1&ndsp=45&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:0&tx=75&ty=87